Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How Did I End up Being a Leader?

I thought back and tried to remember my first experience as a leader. It certainly could be said that I was a leader when I was leading a team of 30 people developing software not long into my first job after college. Going back further, I could remember big roles that I took in school and in sports: positions in student government in both high school and college, being captain of various sports teams, and serving as a leader in student organizations, but those defined roles would not cover my experience. As far back as grade school when there were kids running around on the playground I would organize the game. When we would sit in class and everyone was grumbling because the teacher was asking us to do something that was really unfair, everyone would look to me to be the one to speak up and ask for a more equitable solution for the group. People would look to me because they knew I would be willing to do something, also because they were not willing to stick their own neck out. I think I gravitated toward leadership roles because I thrived on the challenge. It also helps that I have a predisposition to action. I like to get things done and see that the right things are happening.

It was in college that I remember making a conscience effort to learn how to be a better leader. There are elements to leadership that are both art and science. I love reading books on leadership and studying other leaders which helps with the science side. The best way to improve your art is to practice it, so I am always looking for leadership opportunities. Then sometimes you just have to take time to reflect on what you have learned and practiced to gain additional insight. I will always consider myself a student when it comes to learning about leadership.

1 comment:

K-Jones said...

Thanks for the comment!.. you want to know something else wierd?!..were moving to irvine next summer!